Contemporary approaches to explaining maths under achievement describe the learning characteristics
of maths underachievers:
- psychological descriptive approach – psychological difficulties that occur with maths difficulties.
- error analysis approach focuses on the types of errors made by students.
- neuropsychological approach links maths difficulties to neurological disorders- dyscalculia.
- information-processing approach links verbal, memory and peceptual processing with maths difficulties.
These four approaches focus on students in isolation rather than on students in terms of student – teaching interactions in their past and current learning situations. Mis-match between maths performance and teaching.The mis-match can occur in several areas.
- in the types of information students are expected to manipulate .
- in the ways in which students go about learning..
- in what they know automatically.
- in their motivation to learn maths
Here are some areas of Numeracy research: